Monday, December 17, 2007

MOVIE Reviews

I thought I'd help you out- what do you spend your $10 on at the theater? As it happens, I've been seeing some movies lately and here's what I think...

1) I Am Legend
Great movie and worth seeing in a theater. I saw the first midnight showing with friends and the audience's energy was great. Shorter on plot and slower than "28 days later" (Not to mention I'm rather sad Cillian Murphy wasn't in this one), but thick with emotion. And I liked the Bob Marley tie in. I still don't know how I feel about these zombies- I think I'm anti-CGI currently... which leads me to...

2) Beowolf
DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. Stay home and watch someone play a video game. Same thing. Totally needless gore that made me feel weird well into the day after I saw the movie.
Note to moviemakers- unless you are bringing something AMAZING to the table- lay off re-making the classics. Obviously the story has lasted this long in its form- do you really need to create this whole she-demon plot line? Boo.

3) Enchanted
Well, I liked it- I thought it was cute and good at reminding every woman why she's beautiful and that love is possible. However, I don't know the characters really made up their minds about what love should look like (a fairytale or "our world") by the end, and I feel like Disney was trying to just please people. I'm not going to recommend you see this- but if you happen to be babysitting and the kids want to watch this, it's not terrible.

4) Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
I liked it. There were a lot of questions I had afterwards, but I don't think there's a lot of movies with well-developed plots this season. It's like summer movies were wrapped in a magical, imaginative package and labeled "Christmas, if you can".
Ok, back to the movie. I thought it was well acted, it served it's inspirational purpose and the kids liked it. I mostly liked the titles and credits and the sock monkey that broke my heart.
See it for a holiday movie- otherwise wait for it on DVD.

5)Hitman
Good. Granted I love movies like this. Thin on plot line (see above before I rant again), but definitely enjoyable. Brutal, cold, calculating, strong, peaceful ala Keanu Reeves leadman really made it worthwhile.
I prefer watching action movies in the theater but if you are none-the-wiser, wait for DVD.

6)Fred Claus
Yes I saw it- with family after a tree lighting ceremony. It was funny and light, but it had the cheesy-ultimate-christmas-ending ending, which made me wish Wayne and Garth were around to take me through at least two other additional endings.
I'd say, watch if for Christmas on DVD next year or see it on Christmas Day.

Well that's 6. That's like I just saved you $60, really.

Here's what I'm spending money on next:

"Juno"
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/juno/

and "Nightmare Before Christmas" in 3D.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Yeah Magorium's needed a little more cohesion and back story.
Did you know you can buy that darn sock monkey?

Ooh, 3-D movie? yes!