Saturday, December 22, 2007

???

What does the word "Holy" really mean?

I feel like all my associations are incorrect: the only thing that really comes close in my understanding is "clean" or "special" or "socially unacceptable" as in- don't stand there, walk there, touch that- you'll be frowned upon (like churches, historical monuments, etc...) or a phrase, "Holy Bathwater Batman!"...

I don't think that's what Holy means.

I was reading the whole Moses burning bush thing where God tells Moses to take off his sandals b/c he is standing on "Holy ground".

What does that mean?

Especially during Advent, as we grapple with a Holy God descending to be a baby, but still existing in perfection- still being "Holy"- where you can touch the robe of his Holy garment and be healed...

What does that mean?

I feel like I have daily examples of what it is NOT, but this word Holy can't simply mean "the opposite of sin", it is a SOMETHING...

"Holy"... huh.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Aw, no you got me feelin' all bad about using the term "holy crap" all the time.
nah, still gonna say it.